Sunday, September 30, 2012

I'm Overdue for an Update

So I was reading my last post about what I was going to do after P90X2. Hmmm. That's not really how it turned out after all. I started Insanity The Asylum, got through about a week, and sprained my ankle. Now that is enough to make a person angry. Thank goodness I was only limping for a day or 2 and I healed right up thanks to my new strength and health. But I was scared to death to try Insanity again. That workout is beyond intense. I know now that it was just too much for me, even though I don't like to admit that I quit something.
So after my ankle got a little better I actually went back to my old faves, Turbo Fire and Chalean Extreme. I used a hybrid schedule and got through most of that during the summer. Summer. Oh how I love having summers off. Unfortunately I actually was making less time to workout and eating more, not to mention the vacation eating. I am a person who really needs a routine to thrive. So while I love my summers, it was really nice to go back to work a month ago so I could establish my new routine.
And that brings me to my new endeavour. I joined our local YMCA! It took some convincing for my husband to agree, but after showing him how important it was to me (I really needed something new.)and how much it would benefit all of us he agreed to sign up. I love it. I surprisingly like working out with people, either in a class setting or just nearby so I can see what they are doing. I love love love Zumba. I've been going to a Zumba class about 3 times a week, resistance training about 3 times a week, and then I get on the elliptical or the rowing machine about twice a week.
So I've had this routine about a month now, and I am very happy with it. But. I still have these last 5 6 pounds that I want to get rid of. And they don't want to leave. At this point I'm not sure if I have it in me to change anything else or work any harder for it. They might just be sticking around and I might have to be happy with my current weight. But! The thing is, I am still noticing changes, both in my body and in my confidence/mental state. My arm muscles are amazing if I do say so myself, and I almost never feel like I need to cover some random fat spot I am noticing. I can wear a size 4 or 6, depending on the brand, which is way smaller than I ever would have set as a goal starting out.

The end result of all these musings is that I am going to keep doing what I'm doing and try not to worry so much about the scale as about the reflection in the mirror is telling me. And I realize some of this sounds very braggy, but I have worked very very hard for what I have. I spent a lot of years not happy with my body. I know that anyone with a goal can accomplish it. Just start and take it one day at a time. Research, connect with others, find something you enjoy, make small changes, etc., etc.


Today: September 30, 2012
My P90X2 Collage
I would love to encourage someone else to make the change that they would like. I welcome anyone to contact me with questions or for a pep talk.


1 comment:

cardiogirl said...

Wow -- congratulations! I've seen the infomercial for P90X2 and have been really interested in it, but I'm a major cheapskate. Haven't laid out the money for it.

How long did it take you to be able to do the routine and not limp out of bed the next day?

Most of my exercise is done at the Y but I definitely need to start doing something new. Have you ever tried the kettlebell? I thought I was in great shape.

Until I tried one of those. I think I swung 10-punder 20 times, maybe, and then my legs were like jello.

Excellent work!