Thursday, July 24, 2008

Job News

I've been "promoted" to co-director at my preschool. I put promoted in quotes because I don't really feel like it is a true promotion- when the boss dies and only one other person has qualifications according to DCFS they don't really have a choice. My other half has also only been with the school for a year and isn't technically director qualified, but she is going to school to get her certs so she can help. So, since I didn't really "earn" my title, I'm not really excited like I should be. I'm worried that everyone will be looking for a reason for the other co-director to take over next year because they don't think I'm good enough. She seems to really want it too, and is more willing to fight for it. I am very unwilling to fight for a position of power. That totally goes against my being. I want people to want me because they think I would do a good job, not because they have no other choice.
Also, this year out enrollment is way down. We think it has a lot to do with the economy. When people are looking for something to cut back, preschool seems to be disposable. Especially 3 year old preschool. The good news is that we don't have to hire a new teacher to replace Carol. The bad news is the budget isn't so good right now. We do still have a month to enroll those last minute stragglers, so we're trying to spread the word as much as possible around town.
So wish me luck with my job this year with the parents, students, and my co-workers. I plan to prove to everyone that I can do this and do it well.

No comments: