Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Book Reviews

I am a reader.
There, I said it. Maybe it should say I am an obsessive reader. I visit the library at least twice a week. At any given time we have about 20 books checked out (that does include kids books). I probably read 2 to 3 novels a week, depending on how much I have to do and how into them I get.
But I never really thought about reviewing them here.
Until now.
Don't you feel blessed that I'm going to tell you which books I like and which not to bother with?
Today I want to talk about The Secret Life of Bees. I choose this one because it is the one that drew me in the most in the last few weeks. And it's a movie that just came out.
So The Secret Life of Bees is set in the deep south at the time of desegregation. The narrator and main character, Lily, lost her Mama when she was little and her Daddy is a real piece of work. One day she can't take it anymore and runs away with her black "nanny." What happens from there for the rest of the summer is most of the book. I liked the book because it read like conversation - it was very easy to follow. And because there was a little bit of history in it with desegregation. I was quite disgusted with some of the behaviors that white people displayed, but everything turned out great in the end.
I hope I didn't ruin any surprises for you if you decide to read the book, but I highly recommend it for a quick, easy, but emotional read. I look forward to seeing the movie soon (girls night?) and then I will tell you how they compare.

No comments: