Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Kid's Book Picks for November

I'm trying something new today from 5 minutes for Books.


The kids book picks for November:


Joey, at 6, has been really getting into chapter books. He likes Junie B Jones, Ready Freddy, and now Magic Tree House. I prefer Ready Freddy because it is a little boy like him and his adventures are normal and realistic. Joey seems to not have a preference. He can be caught reading one from each series at different times in the same day. I love to see him cuddled up and so absorbed in the book that he has no idea what is going on around him.



Ben loves anything that I'll read to him. The last few weeks he has been getting out "Go Away Big Green Monster" by Ed Emberly and "reading" it to himself. Kids like it for the predictability and repetitiveness. Moms like it because it helps with that fear of monsters.

I would also like to use this post to point out some childrens books that even parents enjoy reading. My favorites are the Skippy Jon Jones series by Judy Schachner. I kid you not, one night when I was reading it to the boys, my husband was cracking up listening to me. And you have to acquire a spanish accent to read them. Another fun author is Jon Scieszka. "The Stinky Cheese Man" really says it all.
Many times when we go to the library, the boys want me to find a book from something they see on tv, like Spiderman or Franklin. This drives me nuts. I want them to expand their horizons, not continue their nasty tv watching habit into their books. The only one that I tolerate and enjoy myself is the Charlie and Lola series. They are so adorable to me. And I love trying on their british accent.
Ok, next time I'll focus on one book we read for the month. This was fun.

2 comments:

Sheila said...

Hi, I found your blog from 5 Minutes for Books.

I have an idea for you for steering your boys away from the "fluff" books at the library. I put a whole bunch of books on hold for them and so when we go to the library we just go to the holds section (after story time, that is) and they find the big stack reserved for us. Just an idea. :)

I read children's book blogs for ideas plus Honey for a Child's Heart, the Read Aloud Handbook, etc.

Anonymous said...

I love Go Away Big Green Monster but haven't read it to my daughters yet because they aren't afraid of monsters yet and I don't want to plant the idea. Molly's Monsters is cute too. My kid's picks post is up (and late)