Thursday, April 9, 2009

Oral Surgery Sucks!

It was horrible. Really horrible. They kept telling me that it would be better than a root canal, but it was not. After my root canal I could eat. I could function. After the surgery I was in pain. I have a mouthful of stitches. And my whole upper mouth is swollen. When I took a vicodin I must not have had enough food in my stomach because I got really light-headed. But when I tried to figure out something to eat (not too easy when you can't use the front part of your mouth) I almost passed out in the kitchen.
Plus my stinking husband was at work and I had the boys to worry about. Thank goodness they can fix themselves a bowl of cereal for dinner in a pinch. And after I almost passed out my dear loving husband who couldn't possibly get off work to help me called his Mom to come help out until the kids went to bed. But when I went to put the kids to bed, Ben (accidently) punched me in the mouth and made me start bleeding.
So what did they do? I'm not entirely sure because I had my eyes squeezed shut the entire time to avoid seeing any knives coming at me. The Dr told me afterward that there was a ball of tissue that resembled rubber cement that he was able to scoop out whole. It was eating at the bone so it was good that I got it taken care of when I did. Now I should heal right up in about 2 weeks and hopefully never have a problem with this tooth again.
This morning I woke up without any pain, but really puffy. My mouth feels nasty because I can't brush anywhere near the stitches, and now that I worked and talked all day I'm feeling pretty sore. I've got the kids planted in front of the tv again and plan to take it easy for one more night. We have a 4 day weekend for the holiday so that takes some pressure off, too.
Any sympathy you want to express is surely welcome today. I'm not whining (much) but have to say that this whole experience has really not been fun.

No comments: