Saturday, February 2, 2008

Public Speaking

So we're all very aware that I am not a big fan of public speaking. Really it has always been the last thing on the list of things I'd like to do. But today, for the first time, magic happened. It was our Genealogical Society meeting today. I am in charge of the program and had scheduled a Librarian from the Wisconsin Historical Society to talk. Everything was fine, but after our board meeting and about 15 minutes before the regular meeting, I started getting worried because she wasn't there yet. Thankfully we thought to call home to see if we had any messages and sure enough, apparently there was a big snowstorm in Wisconsin and she couldn't make it. It took her an hour to get from Madison to Stoughton and when she started seeing trucks in the ditch she decided to stay safe and turned around. Ok, I'm glad she's safe, but the meeting starts in 10 minutes and we have no speaker. So here is the miracle. I actually offered to get up in front of 77 people and speak. I had a story about my own research that I thought would be interesting to tell. So in five minutes I reviewed what I remembered and I got up there and spoke for about ten minutes- no nervousness, no shaky voice. Actually it felt really good. I made people laugh. I think I'll try this again some time. Oh yeah, I have to fill in for the President next month so I'll get even more practice.

So this is the story that I shared: My Mom's maiden name is Smith. Not an easy surname to research. I had gotten as far as her grandparents and that was because she knew their names. After talking to some of her family, though, I learned that my Great-Aunt had done some research years ago and had more information. We got in contact with her and she gave me copies of everything she knew. This was very generous. Many researchers don't like to share for some reason I've found. So I took what she had and was able to use it to find much more information. One line I was able to trace back to the 1700's in the US. Several Civil War soldiers and even Revolutionary War vets. So I put together a packet of what I had found over several months and returned that to my Great-Aunt along with a big thank-you for her help. We went back and forth a couple times about what else we could find out, and then I forgot about it. I really haven't been doing too much research lately with everything else going on.
Well, 2 days ago I got a big packet in the mail from Washington. I had no idea what it could be, but when I opened it up the first line said "Hi Stacie I think I am your Great Uncle who you have never met." Well blow me down! Apparently my Great Aunt shared with the rest of the family what I had come up with. My Great Uncle was very interested and enjoyed reading my stuff. He then took it one step further and did a DNA study on the oldest people I had listed. It turns out they are from Antrim, Ireland and the line is traced way back to kings of Ireland/Scotland in like 300. The oldest person, Eochaid mac Muiredach was born in 314. Isn't that the coolest thing ever? So he sent me all the information he had obtained and a few pictures of his family along with a big thank-you for what I had done. It just made my day. Especially after this crazy week.

In other news, I haven't done a weight update for a reason. Apparently losing 6 pounds in the first 2 weeks was too good to be true, because I haven't lost anything since then. And I haven't been able to work out this week with my stiff neck, so that has kinda been getting me down. I'm not about to give up, though. I have a specific goal and I am determined to reach it. Wish me luck.

In other, other news, I have a link in my list to baby Camille. Her Mommy just found out that she has trisomy 18 and probably will be stillborn or not live long after being born. If you are the praying sort, please pray for the family.

Good Night

No comments: