Thursday, April 3, 2008

Best Friends

I've been thinking a lot lately about best friends. I don't have one and haven't for a long time, but it's really been on my mind just lately. I hear other people talk about their bff that they've known since forever, or the one they just met and clicked with and have been inseparable ever since. I don't have that forever friend simply because of the way we moved around as I was growing up, but I also haven't met that person who I could call my best friend right away. I have friends, but there is not one person I could call up and vent to, or go hang out with on a whim, or laugh with about nothing, or share my secrets with. Does everyone else have that but me? Is there something about me that doesn't let people get close? (If you know the answer, I don't necessarily want to know the truth- truth hurts.) I have noticed that sometimes I meet people who I really enjoy talking to and would like to know better, but then as soon as I get to know them more it's like I stop trying. And it is an effort to be a friend! It is much easier to sit at home with the kids than make that phone call to do something with someone else. Since I went from working with 40-something girls to 9, I've felt even less friend-y. My assistants right now are both twice my age. They don't exactly have the same life issues I do. I guess I need to be able to talk about stuff on a regular basis and I haven't been lately. Except here on my blog. And my blog doesn't talk back.

So ...1/2 hour later and I'm reading over this really depressing post. I'm not going to delete it, but I do realize that life is not that bad. If the best friend department is the only one where I'm not fulfilled in my life, I'm doing pretty good really. I'll just keep trying to be a good friend and eventually it will work out.

This weekend I hope to be doing some car shopping. Wish me luck for finding what I want and not fighting with my husband in the process.

2 comments:

Jacque said...

So, for the longest time I too had no BFF, and now I am blessed to have 3. But with life the way it is today, we don't hang out on a whim...we hang out on a schedule. Which seems odd. But for me, it is something that I wanted and something I had to work at (which seems odd) and there are two former bff's of mine that I'd like to reunite with as time allows. So girl, I hope you find that bff...but it does take time and effort and sometimes even scheduling ;)

Anne said...

I do understand what you mean because I have been looking myself for a best friend for a long time. I do consider my husband one of my best friends but not a girl friend who I can go out with or just talk to on the phone. I did have one growing up but we just went separate ways and grew apart. Anyway hopefully one will come our way eventually. Say some prayers and keep your fingers crossed. Take care